Home Forums BroodMinder-TH battery life

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Mike Fuller 3 months ago.

• Author

razoo
    Participant

I had the Gen 1 broodminder, which was replaced with Gen 2 under the recall.

I installed this on June 18. It was working fine until in August I had trouble connecting.

After trying and failing a few different times, I finally tried to email the data file to myself.

I hadn’t known the data file also logs the battery power. It clearly shows the power falling dramatically from 100% on June 18 to 1% on July 30.

I read here that the battery should last about a year. It lasted me 6 weeks.

Mike Fuller
    Keymaster

Hello,

Sorry you’ve run into a problem with your BroodMinder-TH.  We have generally seen pretty stable performance from the upgraded TH devices, but one of the first signs of a defective unit is poor battery life.  If you send me your information at support@broodminder.com, I can process a return and replacement.

Thanks,

Mike

razoo
    Participant

Thanks,  will do.

TroyMD
    Participant

I too had issues.   Installed the Broodminder TH on August 17,  the battery failed before September.  I put in a new battery but I’ll keep my eye on it.  If the second battery dies then I’ll definitely need to look into getting a defective unit replaced.

I’m pretty sure its just the battery though.  There is a huge difference between a $2 watch battery from china and a $8 duracell battery.  I think I’ll go into winter with new duracel batteries just to be safe.  Unwrapping a hive in the snow just to replace a battery is not something I want to do.

razoo
    Participant

Shout out to the folks at Broodminder!

A replacement device has arrived along with a return address label for the defective unit.

These folks are committed!

Mike Fuller
    Keymaster

Thanks for the shoutout!  Hope you enjoy your BroodMinder

kamie
    Participant

Mike,

I am in the same spot as razoo.  I had one of the replacement devices fail.

I am having potential battery  issues even with the ones I purchased in August, I gave you access to the apiary (Ambler Apiary) on beekeeping.io

Box #1 lower (replacement for gen 1)  battery in the 90+% until mid September then down to 40% by early October and dead today when i went to the hives

Box #1 Upper – purchased august  battery down to 69%

Box#2 lower (replacement for gen 1) Battery still @ 95%

Box #2 Upper – purchased in August battery down to 87%

–kamie

Mike Fuller
    Keymaster

Hi Kamie,

Sorry you are running into problems.  We have had an occasional defective unit.  As we refine our manufacturing process, we hope to see this less and less.  Of primary concert would be the 2 units in Box #1.  If you send me an email to support@broodminder.com, I’ll facilitate getting you replacements.  You definitely should be getting much better battery life than you are seeing.

Thanks,

Mike

TroyMD
    Participant

I’ve been trying to run Broodminder-TH on 4 hives.  3 of them are having battery problems.  That’s not good odds.   I did try fancy new batteries (in 2 of them, $12 experiment!) and no luck, still dead after a few days so its definitely a problem with the battery consumption of the TH.

So yes, I ordered 6 BroodMinder TH’s and 3 are useless.  Hive 1 is the only TH that is still working.  The Brood Minder-W’s have not given me any problems but I won’t be using them for the winter.

Please let me know how I can get 3 replacement TH units.

Thank you,

– Troy

Joerg VXH
    Participant

Hello, it seems I have the same issue, I have 5 TH G2 installed, but 3 gave up about 30-45 days ago and the last two don’t respond anymore either. Last data from 42:03:42 on Oct. 23, 17% batterie live, 42:03:50 last data from Oct. 19, 1% batterie live. Now, I have a suspicion, I feed syrup during the past four weeks and had some leak in to the hive. Could this have shorted out the TH’s? Funny that all are gone. Do they use the same type of batteries as the G1? Want to have them on hand when I pull the Apivar out this coming week, maybe I get the buggers back to life. Had to open the hives too many times.

I had great hopes for thus sensors for the coming winter.

Cheers, Joerg

Mike Fuller
    Keymaster

Hi Joerg,

We ran into a manufacturing problem that caused defects in some of the gen 2 units that went out this summer.  We’ve corrected the problem and we’ve been replacing these units.  If you send me an email at support@broodminder.com and I’ll process a return for you.

Thanks,

Mike

mansfielde
    Participant

I’m having the same issue with the gen2 TH.  it stopped syncing after a few months of use, so i replaced the battery a month or two or three ago, and noticed some corrosion around the contacts, which i cleaned off.  worked for a while, but is now not working again.  i don’t think the new battery should have failed this soon.  i don’t know whether i have one of the ones with the manufacturing issue, but something is apparently not quite right with this unit.

Broodminder W’s are working great!

thanks, Liz

Joerg VXH
    Participant

Hi Liz & Mike,

my replacements are working now, but I have very low temperatures in my hives, but that is a different, self-made problem. My batterie levels with  13°C is still 63%.

Should the batteries be set-in with dielectric grease to avoid corrosion?

Cheers, Joerg

Mike Fuller
    Keymaster

Hi Liz,

Send me a message at support@broodminder.com.  We can do some troubleshooting and do a replacement if needed.  Generally, I start to think about replacing a unit if the battery lasts less than 6mos.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Fuller
    Keymaster

Hi Joerg,

We really aren’t making any recommendations are far as avoiding corrosion, we really don’t expect the devices to have issues like that.

Thanks,

Mike

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.